Hi there. I’m Brandon.
Welcome to my homepage. You may recognize me from such elements as <div> sidebar. I’m currently employed by Discover as Senior Manager of their Big Data and Engineering group. I’m also a graduate of the University of Chicago’s Analytics program.
This site is a collection of posts and links that I find relevant to the fields of data science and big data. I’m always diving in head-first to try out new techniques in scientific computing, machine learning and the latest in big data technology, so you’ll find plenty of posts and code around those topics. Please realize that I’m learning many things as I go along, and there will be plenty of mistakes made (and published). Half of the time I don’t know what I’m doing, but I press ‘Enter’ anyways, just to see what will happen. Please think twice about citing anything you find on this site for publication.
When I’m not busy with work, I spend time telling my wife, Jessica, to stop watching reality TV, and teaching probability theory to our dog, Sasha, using playing cards. I also take lots of pictures wherever I go, and you can find links to my dedicated photography portfolio and instagram feed on the sidebar.
Since I know there are many people out there like me who are constantly digging through source code to see how things are done, I thought I’d save you a bit of time.
- The site is hosted at Dreamhost.com running on Linux.
- Pages are static, and generated by Jekyll using markdown.
- I migrate local changes to the web using Rsync. I will figure out Git eventually.
- The design is based off of a theme created by Michael Rose, called Minimal-Mistakes.
- The base font is PT-Serif, headings are in PT Sans Narrow, and the code font is Monaco.
- That really is my face, and not a place-holder photo. Please don’t steal the image and re-use it, that will just confuse my friends.